Media Center houses equipment for students, over 3,000 DVDs

One+of+two+editing+rooms+available+for+use+at+the+Media+Center%2C+which+is+in+Room+368+of+the+Library+Academic+Resources+Center.++Photo+by+Megan+Courtney+
One of two editing rooms available for use at the Media Center, which is in Room 368 of the Library Academic Resources Center.
Photo by Megan Courtney

MEGAN COURTNEY | A&E Editor

Home to 12 PCs and four Mac computers, the Media Center has all kinds of equipment available for student use.

The Media Center has 12 PCs and four Mac computers available for student use. All of the computers are equipped with programs like the entire Adobe Suite, Avid Media Composer and Garageband.
Photo by Megan Courtney

All of the computers are equipped with programs like Garageband, Avid Media Composer and the entire Adobe Suite.

“It includes the more popular ones like Photoshop and Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver for people who program web programs,” said Media Librarian Michael Fetters.

In addition to the PCS and Macs available for use, the Media Center also has two editing rooms.

“We have the two recording studios set up here for doing podcasting and video tutorials,” Fetters said.

There is also a statistics software called SPSS, which is used for information graphics, statistical analyses and more.

Fetters said that the Media Center has a “pretty extensive” gaming collection.

“We have board games and video games for the game design program and recreational use,” Fetters said.

Currently, there are over 3,000 DVD and documentary titles for students to enjoy as well. If there isn’t a title in the library, students can fill out a suggest a title form for the staff to review.

The Media Center, located on the third floor of the Library and Academic Resources Center, has over 3000 DVDs and documentaries available for student use.
Photo by Megan Courtney

Other equipment such as SD card readers and Wacom drawing tablets can be found in the Media Center.  The center also has an Oculus Rift, a virtual reality headset.

The Media Center is also looking to purchase a camera-equipped drone.

Use of the drones would be limited to programs requiring them for course projects.

Fetters said that he thinks the name of the Center might be a reason why students don’t often go to the Media Center.

“Media Center sounds more like a place where you have to make an appointment,” Fetters said. “I’m considering changing the name from Center to Lab so people know that it’s a lab space where they can do lab work or projects; they don’t need an appointment to come by.”

The Media Center is located on the third floor of the Library and Academic Resources Center in Room 368 and is open Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to midnight, Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 8 pm, Saturday from noon to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 2 p.m. to midnight. Students do not need appointments to use the lab.