Five reasons to leave your dorm this week

Graphic+by+Michelle+Sproat.+%0APhotos+from+Pexels.com.+
Graphic by Michelle Sproat. Photos from Pexels.com.

MICHELLE SPROAT | Video Content Manager

As the year continues, moving from February to March, the weather will start warming up (we hope). Warmer weather will bring more opportunities to get up and out of your dorm. Here are five things that you can do this week on Lindenwood’s campus and around the St. Charles area. 

1. Join a discussion with local activist LaShell Eikerenkoetter. 
Tuesday, Feb. 27
4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Dunseth Auditorium

Members of Lindenwood’s Black Student Union and Genders Sexualities Alliance invite students to join them in a discussion with St. Louis activist LaShell Eikerenkoetter. The event is titled “We Will Win” which will be the major focus of the discussion. Find out more about this event here.

2. Catch a flick at this week’s film series.   
Tuesday, Feb. 27 and Thursday, March 1
7 p.m.
Library and Academic Resources Center Theater (Room 343)

On Tuesday, a documentary about an football team with underprivileged kids in Memphis and their volunteer coach will take the screen in “Undefeated.” This film shows their coach helping these youths “beat the odds on and off the field.” 

Thursday will bring “52 Tuesdays,” a story about 16-year-old Billie being thrown into adulthood independence when her mother goes through a gender transition. 

Read more about these films and other movies to come in the spring 2018 Lindenwood Film Series here

3. See the alternative rock band Coin at Delmar Hall. 
Tuesday, Feb. 27
8 p.m.
Delmar Hall, 6133 Delmar Blvd, St. Louis

See Coin onstage at Delmar Hall during their stop in St. Louis on their North American tour. The Nashville natives’ hit song “Talk Too Much” reached No. 8 on United States Billboard top alternative songs on Feb. 4, 2017. Tickets are $20 if bought in advance and are $25 at the door. Doors open at 7 p.m. and the first act goes on at 8 p.m. For more information on the concert, click here

4. Enjoy the musical styling of the Lindenwood University Music Program during its Spring Music Series.  
Wednesday, Feb. 28 and Saturday, March 3
7:30 p.m.
The Lindenwood Theater

Lindenwood University’s Music Program presents the Spring Music Series starting with a band concert on Wednesday followed by a choir concert on Saturday. According to the J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts website, the music series “showcases the technical skills and musical talents of our students in our major instrumental and vocal ensembles throughout the academic year.” The concerts are free and open to the public. Click here for more information. 

5. Attend Phi Delta Theta’s annual Soberfest event. 
Thursday, March 1
7 p.m. – 10 p.m. 
Evans Commons Lawn

Phi Delta Theta is hosting what it calls the “wildest party of the semester” on Thursday night. There will be food, drinks, a live DJ and more. Admission is $5 which will be donated to the Live Like Lou foundation for ALS research, the organization’s new national philanthropy. For more information on this event, click here.