DECA team receives state honors at annual state conference

Lindenwood’s DECA team competed in 13 events at the annual state conferencce for the Missouri Collegiate Association of DECA on Feb. 22 and 23 at the Lodge of Four Seasons, Lake Ozark.
Photo provided by Carol Felzien

LINDSEY FIALA | Online Editor

Lindenwood’s DECA team competed against 11 colleges and universities at the annual state conference for the Missouri Collegiate Association of DECA on Feb. 22 and 23. 

DECA is an international association of high school students, college students and teachers in marketing, management, entrepreneurship, finance and hospitality. 

Lindenwood’s chapter participated in 13 of the 25 competitive events available and competed in all three categories: team case studies, prepared presentations and individual case studies. 

Seven students from Lindenwood were proficiency recipients: Dillon Richardson and Braeden Westhusing in team case studies as well as Jonathon Dunlop, Connor Hepler, Taylor Reynolds, Hannah Smith and Carli Gogol in individual case studies. 

Craig Felzien, director of the Duree Center for Entrepreneurship and DECA adviser for the Lindenwood team, has only been the adviser for the team since last November, when he attended his first DECA competition in New York.

Felzien said he is very proud of the team and is impressed with their results.

“These competitions really hone professional skills and provide real experiences for real success for our students at Lindenwood University,” Felzien said.

Several students from Lindenwood’s team will be advancing to Washington D.C. the week of April 10 to compete at the International DECA conference.