Student Government hosts first luau, welcomes warmer weather

Students play sand volleyball during Lindenwood Student Government’s first luau. Chips, salsa, guacamole and mocktails were provided for attendees.
Photo by Lindsey Fiala

LINDSEY FIALA | Online Editor

Video by Lindsey Fiala

The smell of salsa and grilled pineapple was carried by the wind over the sand volleyball courts as the sun set over Pfremmer Pond and party music blared from speakers. The flames of the Tiki torches fought the wind, but prevailed nonetheless.

Lindenwood Student Government welcomed in the warm weather with sand volleyball, mocktails and chips and guacamole during its first luau Wednesday night.

Students filtered in and out with their friends during the event, soaking up the evening rays and diving for volleyballs.

Mackenzie Komeshak, head coordinator of the event, said she thought of the idea in February and spent well over a month planning for the gathering.

“I thought about the sand volleyball courts and I thought, ‘What is a good summertime event?’ so I thought, how about a beach party?” she said.

Both of the volleyball courts held sand volleyball matches that caused sand to fly. Laughter and cheers could be heard over the song from Lilo and Stitch, “Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride.” Judge Williams, a student who attended the event, said that the event was great and there should be more events like it in the future.

As the evening went on, rays of sunshine filtered through the trees and onto Pfremmer Pond as students played sand volleyball.
Photo by Lindsey Fiala

“I like that they hosted this event because it gave me an opportunity to hang with my brothers; I’m with Phi Lambda Chi,” he said. “It gave us the opportunity to get out and actually do something instead of just sitting around.”

In addition to playing volleyball, Komeshak said the event was meant to be a way to bring people together to mingle and meet members of student government.

The event lasted approximately two hours as the last warm rays of sunlight fell behind the trees and into the night.