Lindenwood Campus Activities Board Rocks the Block with local bands

Armenta, one of two bands that performed at CAB’s “Rock the Block Party,” currently has an EP out called “Results” and has a long-term goal of releasing an LP and getting signed to a record label.
Photo by Megan Courtney

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lzqGW8cus[/embedyt] 

video by Kayla Drake

MEGAN COURTNEY | A&E Editor

Complete with an ice cream bar and an inflatable pool table, the Dirty Muggs covering The Cupid Shuffle was one highlight of Lindenwood Campus Activities Board’s Rock the Block Party.

The space in front of the stage soon filled with party attendees for The Cupid Shuffle and before that, a Conga line was started during one of Dirty Muggs’ original songs.

St. Louis native band Armenta also performed at the party. Armenta, according to its Facebook page, is influenced by punk, surf rock and Latin genres.

Ryan Hill, lead vocals and guitar for Armenta, said the band has just released its debut EP, Results. It was released on Feb. 17 on all major music platforms.

Hill said the band also has released its first music video for another one of its songs, “Diamond Eyes.”

“It was like living the dream,” Hill said. “It was a rush I’ll never forget.”

Currently, Armenta is working on newer songs toward the goal of releasing an LP and eventually getting signed to a record label. Hill said the band is trying to get on the radio.

Hill said that everyone in the band is passionate about music and that they’ve “all spent years doing this.”

T.J. Tipton, one of CAB’s event coordinators, said the band is “really good friends of hers.”

The event, which is a part of Spring Fling Week, was in the works since December, according to Tipton.

“We find out our events around December and then we kind of start playing with them and decide what we want to do,” Tipton said.

Other treats like cotton candy, popcorn, soda and water were available for partygoers, and games, such as a giant version of Jenga, were also a hit.

The wind didn’t stop people from enjoying s’mores by the two fire pits that were also set up.

Other events that CAB has in place for Spring Fling Week include the first Siblings Day and Adventure Day, which includes a zip line, rock wall and free food. Both events will take place on Saturday, April 14.

For more information, visit CAB’s event page on InvolveU.