Five reasons to leave your dorm this week

Students toss powder paint into the air after participating in the Campus Activities Board Fall 2016 color run. CAB is hosting its annual color run this upcoming Saturday, April 27.
File photo by Kelby Lorenz.

MICHELLE SPROAT | Video Content Manager

Finding yourself sitting inside your dorm finishing up work for the last two weeks of the semester? Take a break and head to these events on campus and in the greater St. Louis area. 

1. Raise awareness for suicide prevention at Open Mike Night. 
Monday, April 16
7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Butler Loft

The Criminal Justice Student Association at Lindenwood University is hosting its fifth annual Open Mike Night. Performances will include personal narratives, poetry, songs and more. This event brings awareness to suicide and remembers the lives that were lost. According to a Facebook post, the event was created to honor Michael Black, a Lindenwood student who killed himself on campus in April 2013. For more information on this event, click here.

2. Dig in to some food truck fare at the St. Charles Soccer Complex. 
Tuesday, April 17
5 p.m. – 8 p.m.
St. Charles Soccer Complex, 3801 Mueller Rd., St. Charles, Missouri

The St. Charles Parks and Recreation department is hosting the first food truck event of 2018 this Tuesday. Along with various food trucks, there will be live music for your listening pleasure. Participating food trucks include Chris’ Smokehouse, Doughboy’s Wood Fired Pizza, Trailhead Brewing Co. and more. Click here to find out about more vendors and when the next food truck event will be. 

3. Join COASA and Greek Life for Lindenwood’s first annual Take Back The Night Walk.   
Thursday, April 19
5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Main Street, 921 S Riverside Drive, St.Charles, Missouri

Lindenwood’s Campus Organization Against Sexual Assault is teaming up with the university’s Greek Life to raise awareness and put an end to sexual assault. The organizations encourage students to meet in the parking lot behind Trailhead Brewing Co. before the walk begins. Find out more about the walk here.

4. Support the Lindenwood dance community at the last dance concert of the semester. 
Friday, April 20
7:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
The Lindenwood Theater at the J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts

The 2017-2018 dance concert series comes to a close on Friday evening. Performances will include work by senior students, Lindenwood faculty and guest artists. Students and staff can receive two free tickets to the performance. Additional tickets can be purchased for $10 at the Box Office. Click here for more information. 

5. Participate in a color run at CAB’s annual Splash Dash.  
Saturday, April 21
11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Evans Commons Lawn

Campus Activities Board is hosting its annual Splash Dash to round out the semester. Registration for the run begins at 11:30 a.m. The first 100 participants will receive free T-shirts and goodie bags. After the run, there will be a party with free snacks and a DJ to refuel from the dash. For more information, click here