Student Involvement recognizes campus organizations for leadership

Members of the Gender Sexualities Alliance pose with Angie Royal (second from left) after receiving a diversity award for this semester’s drag show, which had a theme of social activism. “We really did want to bring everyone together for an event that has grown, so it’s really cool to be recognized for having a really cool, diverse program,” said GSA president Brooke Parker (left).
Photo Illustration by Matt Hampton.

MATT HAMPTON Reporter

More than 30 awards were given out at the annual Student Involvement leadership awards Tuesday night in the AB Leadership Room. 

Student Involvement Director Angie Royal recognized the members of the Collegiate Leadership Competition team. She said the team persevered despite one of their members’ leukemia returning.

Student Involvement Co-ordinator Rachel Tolliver recognized the recipients of the elevate leadership certificate, an honor which was created this year.  

Assistant Director of Greek Life Christopher Miofsky announced several Greek Life Awards.  

• Greek Week Awards:  First Place – Sigma Sigma Sigma, Second Place – Delta Tau Delta, Third Place – Phi Lambda Chi
  • Highest GPA by a Greek Organization: Delta Zeta
  • Most Community Service Hours by a Fraternity: Phi Lambda Chi
  • Most Community Service Hours by a Sorority: Delta Zeta
  • Excellence in Recruitment: Phi Delta Theta
  • Outstanding New Member of a Greek Organization: Miranda Fick
  • Feuerbacher Greek Character and Service Award: Hannah McKay
  • Greek Organization President of the Year: Victoria Dohm
  • Fraternity Man of the Year: Matthew Stocker
  • Sorority Woman of the Year:  Katie Brownlow
  • Multicultural Greek Service Award: Alpha Psi Lambda
  • Greek Chapter of the Year: Delta Zeta

Shane Williamson, associate vice president of Student Life and Diversity, presented Lindenwood Student Government President’s Award to this school year’s LSG President, Nick Stone.  

Provost Marilyn Abbott presented the Outstanding Academic Organization Award to the Psychology Interest Club.  

LSG Treasurer Kelsee Davis, LSG Vice President Posy Durr and LSG Secretary Brenden Roland presented several student organization awards.  

• Outstanding Service Project: Delta Sigma Pi, Linden Scroll, Kappa Delta Phi and International Student Fellowship for Operation Christmas Child
  • Outstanding Collaborative Project: Greek Life and the Campus Organization Against Sexual Assault for the Take Back the Night Walk  
  • Organization Adviser of the Year: Rebecca Heinen
  • Rising Star: Mathematics Club
  • Outstanding Social Activity: ISF for the East Meets West Square Dance
  • Outstanding Academic Event: Public Health Student Association for the sexual health forum
  • Campus Activities Board Event of the Year: Skating with Doubt
  • Outstanding Residence Hall Program: Irwin Hall for Physically Sorry!
  • Unsung Hero:  Jillian Combs
  • Diversity Program of the Year: Gender Sexualities Alliance for the Drag Show
  • InvolveU Most Valuable User: Criminal Justice Student Association
  • Most Supportive Student Organization: Phi Sigma Sigma
  • Outstanding Organization Officer: Emily Doerfler
  • Most Successful Fundraising Initiative: Phi Lambda Chi for Miss Lindenwood
  • Excellence in Promotions: NERF Alliance
  • Service Hours Awards: <14 members – InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, 15-29 members- Delta Sigma Pi, 30-49 members – Alpha Psi Omega, >50 members – Black Student Union.  

Royal gave the Excellence in Student Governance and Emerging Student Leader of the Year awards to Jack Bedtke, an LSG Senator. The also presented the Student Leader of the Year Award to Jordyn Lockhart and announced the Student Organization of the Year, the Catholic Student Union.  CSU’s spiritual coordinator Kelly Rau said the organization earns a lot of points by holding weekly events and copious amounts of service and community outreach, and this year they started two new events, the Christmas walk and the stations of the cross.  

Correction:  A previous version of this article did not include the winners of the awards Unsung Hero and Sorority Woman of the Year.