Quiz Bowl encourages students to join, helps promote fast-paced thinking

Brenden Roland hosting the quiz bowl on Nov. 20, 2018 at Harmon Hall in the Dunseth auditorium.  Photo by Sandy Leegumjorn
Brenden Roland hosting the quiz bowl on Nov. 20, 2018 at Harmon Hall in the Dunseth auditorium.
Photo by Sandy Leegumjorn

SANDY LEEGUMJORN Reporter

A fast-paced, academic trivia game called Quiz Bowl, is looking for some new contestants.

The game is hosted by Lindenwood University Quiz Bowl, and team members are willing to teach new players the ropes.

Coraline Klien, a freshman from Germany during the quiz bowl on Nov. 20, 2018, at Harmon Hall in the Dunseth Auditorium.
Photo by Sandy Leegumjorn

The game takes place in the Dunseth Auditorium in Harmon Hall on Tuesdays from 6:15-7:15 p.m.

“Quiz Bowl is the most educational and fun game for students to play, especially in college,” Shraddha Belbase, a computer science student, said.

Belbase said she had learned at lot by participating.

“I get better as I come here more often,” Belbase said. “It doesn’t matter what you’re studying because they have questions covering every field.”

Brenden Roland, a host of Quiz Bowl said he thinks it is useful for students to learn the skills because it helps them practice fast-paced thinking, which can be applied to their daily lives when they are in a situation where they have to make quick decisions.

“You also make friends from this activity,” Roland said.

The players are divided into two teams and compete against each other. Each person has his or her own buzzer to use to answer a question, and whoever answers correctly first gets 10 points for their team. About 50 questions are posed each round

Questions from variety of fields are asked, including but not limited to science, literature, math and general knowledge.