Free tax clinic opens up to students, elderly in Harmon Hall

The Plaster School of Business and Entrepreneurship is housed in Harmon Hall.
Photo by Lauren Pennock.

MEGAN COURTNEY | News Editor

Beginning on Feb. 1, Lindenwood students as well as the elderly, disabled and low-income individuals will be able to file their taxes for free through the Lindenwood Tax Clinic.

The clinic, housed in Harmon Hall room 255, only plans on preparing 100 tax returns, and it is only by appointment.

Lisa Bushur, CPA and also accounting instructor, said that 2019 is the first year for the tax clinic, and that it was started “to give tax students the experience of doing a real tax return.”

According to the press release for the clinic, income tax students and other volunteers will be preparing tax returns, but all returns will be reviewed by Bushur and John Quinn, another accounting instructor.

Tax returns are going to be prepared with the tax software TaxSlayer, which Bushur said is given to sites that are serving the public for free, and once the return is approved, it will then be e-filed with the IRS.

Bushur said the “big thing” is that the clinic hopes to get everyone their refunds.

“It’ll save so much money,” she said. “I think that’s the biggie. We’ll do it for free.”

To refer people to the Tax Clinic, send their name, address, phone number and email to [email protected], and a volunteer will be in contact.

For more information about the Tax Clinic or to schedule an individual appointment, contact Bushur at 636-627-2573 or at [email protected].