Fire drills planned Wednesday, Thursday

Students Abuse Fire Alarms
Fire drills will be occurring on Wednesday and Thursday.
Photo from Pexels

GARRETT ANDERSON |Reporter

Lindenwood University’s Public Safety and Security will conduct fire drills at all campus dorms on Wednesday and Thursday.

St. Charles City Fire Department will assist with the drills, which must be done at least once a semester in compliance with the Clery Act.

Public Safety’s Supervisor Ray Nabzdyk said the university doesn’t like to give students much notice about the drills so that they are more realistic.

“What we are going to do for the drills is to see how quickly we evaluate the dorms, we will check all of the emergency equipment, and the alarm,” he said. “We want to make sure everything is functioning properly; if it’s not we will make notations of it.”

On March 27, the drills will take place at the south side on campus, and then at the Heritage side of campus on March 28. The drills will begin at 3 p.m. on both days.

According to safety experts:

• NEVER ignore the alarm, assume the alarm is false, or assume it is only a fire alarm test. 
  • Everyone MUST evacuate the building by way of the safest and closest exit and/or stairway. NEVER use an elevator to exit during a fire alarm activation.
  • Once outside the building, move away from the building. Assemble across the street or along the sidewalk of the adjacent building.
  • The front of the building is where the fire fighters and fire trucks will be operating. Do not obstruct their access to the building.
  • If there is an incident occurring on the upper floors and glass is being blown out of the windows, the area below is the hazard zone where serious personal injuries will happen. Stay away from this hazard zone.
  • Once outside, never re-enter the building until you are told to do so by the fire department or campus security.