Campus renovations happen over summer, no update on old library, Butler Hall

Roemer+Hall%2C+a+building+on+the+heritage+side+of+campus.++
Photo by Kat Owens
Roemer Hall, a building on the heritage side of campus.

CLAIRE BEAUDRY | Reporter

Several campus renovations projects have been going on this summer and are planned for the future. 

Diane Moore, Lindenwood’s Vice President of Operations, said in an email that the following are some projects completed this summer:

• Over 30 student houses had flooring replaced, and kitchens were renovated in two houses. She said the flooring work may have cost between a few hundred to a few thousand dollars per house.  
  • Lindenwood “eliminated a wall between two classrooms in the J Scheidegger Center to provide a larger space for theater rehearsals,” Moore said.  
  • In the former Public Safety Building across Kingshighway, they removed flooring and did minor renovations to allow the School of Science to create a forensic lab.  
  • Lindenwood put new HVAC systems in McCluer, Roemer, and Parker Halls for about $1,500,000 per building, according to Moore.  Some older buildings still have antiquated, costly, and inefficient steam heating systems.  
  • A broken sidewalk was replaced in front of McCluer, where a curb-cut was also made to improve accessibility.  
  • They have renovated roofs on Rauch Memorial Hall, Calvert Rogers Hall, and the Fitness Center to keep moisture out of the buildings.  
  • Some carpeting in Harmon Hall was replaced.  

According to Moore, the university works on large projects in the summer to avoid disturbing campus life during the school year.  

She said “no final decisions have been made” on the future of Butler Library, which has been closed since 2017.  No plans yet exist for Butler Hall to re-open either.  

“While the exterior of Butler Hall is structurally sound, the interior needs significant work before Butler Hall could be re-opened,” she said. “At this time that is not under consideration.”

Currently, roof repairs for the Student-Athlete Center are underway. More renovations may be on deck for the future, also.  She said they will start planning next summer’s renovations in student houses in October or November.  

There are also annual renovations requests, and Lindenwood is considering a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math facility.  

“The Board of Trustees will determine if funding opportunities exist for any future STEM related facility needs,” Moore added. 

If Lindenwood moves forward with a STEM project, it would be eight to 12 months before construction, which would take two to three years, she said.