Lindenlink wins numerous regional awards

An+outside+look+at+the+Lindenlink+sign+on+the+windows+of+the+Media+Lab+in+McCluer+Hall+on+the+campus+of+Lindenwood+University.+The+Lindenlink+staff+holds+weekly+meetings+inside+the+Media+Lab+every+Thursday+at+3%3A30+p.m.+

Photo by Dominic Hoscher

An outside look at the Lindenlink sign on the windows of the Media Lab in McCluer Hall on the campus of Lindenwood University. The Lindenlink staff holds weekly meetings inside the Media Lab every Thursday at 3:30 p.m.

Dominic Hoscher, Editor-in-Chief

A national journalism group has named Lindenlink as the best independent online student publication in a four-state region.

The award was announced at the 2022 Mark of Excellence conference, which took place at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas. The awards are from the Society of Professional Journalists at a regional level. Lindenlink is a member of Region 7, which includes Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska. 

Instead of first-, second-, or third-place winners, there are just finalists and winners. Each winner is automatically entered in the national contest, with the national winners being announced later this year. 

Alexis Montgomery, Lindenlink’s editor-in-chief from 2020-21, was a finalist in general news reporting (small school) for Main Street nightlife hit with ‘Footloose’ ban

The staff was on the receiving end of more recognition on April 9 when the Missouri College Media Association Awards were held at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, Missouri.

The contest is divided into four college groups based on each university’s enrollment. Lindenwood is in Division II, which includes Missouri Southern State University, Missouri Western State University, Northwest Missouri State University, Southeast Missouri State University, Truman State University, and Webster University. 

Photo Editor Jessica Spivey finished in first place for news photography for Women’s lacrosse ring ceremony in photos

Spivey also earned a second-place finish in feature photography for Students’ transition from online to in-person classes and was an honorable mention in sports photography for Men’s basketball drops home opener to Wisconsin-Parkside

Montgomery was second place in news writing for Student organizations express concern on diversity at Lindenwood, third place for information graphic for Lindenwood reporting lower COVID-19 cases this semester, and third place in news writing for Main Street nightlife hit with ‘Footloose’ ban

She was also an honorable mention in news writing for Some Lindenwood students allowed to drink at campus housing

Former reporter Billy Woods tallied a third-place finish in the multimedia package category for Athletes and coaches overcome COVID seasons

Editor-in-Chief Dominic Hoscher was an honorable mention in sports writing for Winning a national championship: through the eyes of lacrosse players, coaches and A year-long season: how cross country and track athletes push through.  

Each of these awards are for content published in 2021.