Streaming platforms update: September edition

Here is the full list of what is coming to and leaving Netflix, Hulu, and Max this month. Photo from Pexels.com

The fall 2023 semester has officially started, and although students are getting busier and busier with each week, a bit of relaxation in the form of a movie night is just what students need.

Each month, streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, and Max (previously known as HBO Max) remove certain shows and movies and replace them with new ones.

Here’s a list of content coming to and leaving in September 2023:

Leaving Netflix:

Sept. 1:

American Hustle (2013) – A con man, Irving Rosenfeld, with his partner Sydney Prosser, are forced into working for F.B.I. where they deal with powerbrokers and the Mafia.

Easy A (2010) – A high-school student Olive experiences a full transformation of her persona based on rumors that turn her into a hot topic of discussion at her school.

Mean Girls (2004) – Innocent and naïve teenager, Cady, adapts to her new life in a typical American high school. This comes after years of being homeschooled by her parents during their research expedition in Africa.

Sept. 6:

The Originals (Seasons 1-5) – A well-known “Vampire Diaries” spinoff story, where the Mikaelsons move to New Orleans to form an alliance with local witches in an attempt to rule over the city.

Sept. 23:

In Darkness (2018) – A story of a blind pianist Sofia, who accidentally gets involved with the mysterious death of her neighbor Veronique. Sofia’s journey starts with meeting Veronique’s father Milos Radic, who turns out to be a Serbian businessman, previously accused of being a war criminal.

Coming to Netflix:

Sept. 1

8 Mile (2002) – Eminem’s world-famous Oscar-winning musical biopic tells the story of a young rapper struggling through life and trying to live big. –

Love is Blind: After the Altar (Season 4) Netflix Original – Now-married couples get together to celebrate their one-year anniversaries along with the singles to reminisce and reflect on their past year.

Sept. 8

A Time Called You (Season 1) Netflix Original – Korean drama series follows the story of a woman who travels through time to meet a man who resembles her late love.

Sept. 15

Love at First Sight (2023) – A Netflix Original romantic drama tells the story of two people who fall in love on their flight to London. Based on the Jennifer E. Smith novel.

Sept. 21

Sex Education (Season 4) Netflix Original – The final season of British school comedy now shows Otis and his friends navigating a new chapter of their lives and attending Cavendish Sixth Form College.

Leaving Hulu:

Sept. 4

You’re Not You (2014) – A talented pianist Kate struggles to adjust to her new life when she receives a life-altering diagnosis of ALS. In need of a caregiver, Kate hires a college student Bec, who then turns into a great lesson and valuable experience for both Kate and Bec.

Sept. 10

Dirty Weekend (2015) – Two coworkers Les and Natalie get stuck in a city where a year ago, after too many drinks, they experienced a strange encounter. Since the two are stranded in the city, Les and Natalie decide to figure out the mystery of what actually happened that night.

Sept. 11

Blackfish (2013) – This documentary tells the story of Tilikum, a captive killer whale, who has taken the lives of three people. The movie talks about various consequences of keeping orcas in captivity.

Sept. 30

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) – A struggling musician Peter Bretter tries to make it through life after being dumped by a TV star Sarah Marshall. His plan is to start over and go to Hawaii crashes when he sees Sarah and her new boyfriend staying there at the same hotel.

Coming to Hulu:

Sept. 1

The Devil Wears Prada (2006) – A recent college graduate with big dreams lands a job at a prestigious Runway magazine with an evil editor Miranda Priestly who makes her life a living nightmare.

Sept. 8

The Friendship Game (2022) – A group of teenagers purchases a strange Friendship Game at a yard sale that seems to have a mysterious power and consciousness. While playing the game, teenagers learn each other’s deepest secrets and over the course of one night, the game helps them unravel the mystery of their friend who went missing.

Sept. 15

Love, Simon (2018) – Simon spends his life hiding the fact that he is gay from his family and friends. When that secret is threatened to be revealed by someone from his school, Simon learns how to face everyone and reveal his true self.

Sept. 28

The Kardashians: Season 4 Premiere – The Kardashian-Jenner family returns with new adventures, stories, and drama.

Leaving Max:

Sept. 13

Ghosts (Season 1-3) – A married couple Samantha and Jay Arondekar are excited to start a new chapter of their lives when they inherit a country house from a distant relative. Their dreams and excitement soon crush as the couple reveals the terrifying truth about the ghosts who are haunting the house.

Sept. 30

Last Night in Soho (2021) – This is the story of a fashion designer Eloise, who moves to London to chase her fashion dreams and instead begins a life full of terrible events.

17 Again (2009) – Mike is given a chance to go back to his high school days and be seventeen again, where he realizes that his basketball career is not the most important aspect of his life. Mike learns how to win his wife back as well as be a good and understanding father to his two children.

Coming to Max:

Sept. 1

Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011) – A middle-aged newly-divorced man relearns how to pick up girls in the bars with his new friend Jacob.

The Exorcist (1973) – A captivating story of a 12-year-old Regan MacNeil, whose life changes as she becomes possessed by a demon. The story continues as her mother seeks help from a Catholic priest.

Sept. 6

Crime Scene Confidential, Season 2 (ID) – The second season unveils the work of expert analysis and law enforcement discovering real-life criminal investigations.