Lindenwood arms public safety officers

Photo by Josh Calloni
10 out of 22 Lindenwood’s public safety officers are now allowed to be armed on campus.

Lindenwood public safety officers are now allowed to be armed across campus.

In a letter published on the Lindenwood website on Aug. 14, President John Porter announced that 10 out of 22 Lindenwood Department of Public Safety and Security members will be carrying firearms starting this semester.

This decision was taken after Lindenwood noticed a rise in campus violence trend. Schools have been targeted with life-threatening situations, raising questions when it comes to safety on campus.

“Most of these incidents occur in just minutes, and while unlikely, we need our most experienced campus safety professionals to have the ability to respond immediately, reasonably, and responsibly to protect the campus community,” President Porter said in his letter.

Junior Grace Misukonis explained her worry about this new change.

“I almost feel more uncomfortable,” Misukonis said. “I feel like they don’t have the full training as regular police officers and it could give them the ability to use their power.”

In addition to wearing body cameras, now-armed officers have been trained in order to meet the requirements to protect themselves and those around them.

“These officers are required to be former military or police, pass additional tests and screenings, and complete additional training to be eligible and maintain eligibility,” Lindenwood Student Government President Clayton Herbst said.

The guns are going to be used only in emergency situations to assure the safety and security of life on campus in case of threat.

“Previously, before this year, Public Safety would not have acted as first responders to an emergency such as an active shooter, but would have secured the perimeter of the school while waiting for law enforcement to arrive,” Herbst said. “However, in situations wherein safety and security of life on campus are threatened, time is of the essence, and waiting for law enforcement could cost lives.”

This recent change will not impact the main responsibilities of public safety officers.

“The Department of Public Safety and Security will continue to focus on proactive crime prevention and public safety services to the campus community. These include 24/7 patrols, walking escorts, closed-circuit television monitoring, and more,” Porter said. “The department also will continue to work closely with the St. Charles Police, the only entity responsible for arrests and charges.”

Other schools like George Washington University in Washington and the University of Rochester in New York have also implemented this new policy on their campus to ensure the safety of their students.

“While I wholeheartedly wish this policy did not need to be implemented, I stand behind the decision and I believe it elevates safety on campus to a higher level,” Herbst said.