Lindenwood art professor of four decades passed, university announces

Photo from Lindenwood University’s website

Lindenwood University announced the news of art professor Grand Hargate’s passing in an email sent out to faculty and students on Tuesday, Nov. 28.

Hargate was an award-winning art professor at Lindenwood for 40 years and has made various contributions to the university’s art department as well as the art industry overall. 

This fall semester, Hargate’s artwork was featured in the Boyle’s Family Gallery at the Drawing Group art exhibition. The exhibition consisted of Hargate’s work as well as the work of his lifelong friends Ken Brown, Curtis Hendricks, Gary Passanise, Tom Terry, and Tom Tobias who shared his love and passion for the art. 

Hargate will be remembered for his “infectious humor, love for art, and spirit embodying Lindenwood’s essence,” the university shared in the email.

Professor Hargate began his journey at Lindenwood several decades ago when he joined the university in 1983. Hargate retired earlier this year, however, his teachings and contribution to the university will always be remembered.

The email included Hargate’s advising quote to serve as an inspiration and remembrance for students and the community. 

“Teach students that I do not have all the answers, a good deal of which can be found in the students themselves,” the email said. 

Throughout his teaching at Lindenwood, Hargate’s students could always count on him to find inspiration, creative guidance, and valuable mentorship. Lindenwood alumna Talia Salvatore remembers Hargate as encouraging and interesting.

“Professor Hargate was one of my first professors at Lindenwood,” Salvatore said. “I remember on the first day of class he showed off his motorcycle. His class was always so welcoming and inspiring. He was super nice and always had a lot of energy.”

To celebrate and remember Hargate’s life, visitations will be held at Kutis Affton Chapel, located at 10151 Gravois Road in St. Louis on Dec. 2, starting at 3 p.m.

The email included an important reminder that you are never alone during difficult times. The university provides counseling and support resources for both students and faculty. Students can contact the Student Counseling and Resource Center by calling 636-949-4522 and employees can contact Lindenwood’s Employee Assistance Program.