High School Dance Day: A sample of Lindenwood’s Dance Program [PHOTO GALLERY]

Photo by Catalina Corredor
The dancers follow LU student assistants at High School Dance Day.

Lindenwood’s Dance Program hosted its annual “High School Dance Day” on Nov. 10. The event took place at The J. Scheidegger Center for the Arts, where multiple classrooms and the main stage were selected to serve as locations for potential Lindenwood students to live this experience.

“The event facilitates a realistic preview of college dance life, including interactive sessions, student-choreographed performances, valuable Q&A opportunities, lunch with current students, and the chance to witness a captivating evening concert. It’s a tight-packed, enriching day for all participants.”

This day gives high school students from around the country the opportunity to experience a day as dancers from the LU Dance Program.

“The 2023 High School Dance Day welcomed a diverse cohort of 90 students, hailing from 45 high schools across seven states, including our home state of Missouri and neighboring Illinois,” Zweier said. “Notably, participants traveled from as far as Florida, Maryland, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington to join the event.”

The participants register in advance and are put into groups to experience a day full of classes, taught by Lindenwood staff and guest choreographers. It is a great opportunity to experience what a day at Lindenwood as a dance major would be like and it inspires participants to take the next step and audition for the program in the future.

“For young individuals who have dedicated a significant part of their lives to dancing, the transition to college can be challenging without a dance outlet. High School Dance Day goes beyond merely showcasing academic offerings; it illuminates pathways for involvement on campus.” Said Zweier.

The classes in the schedule for High School Dance Day 2023 included: Tap with Professor Tracy Dupre, Ballet with Professor Janet Strzelec, Afrodance with Professor Alicia Sunshine, and many more.

“The classes offered are a true reflection of the specialized expertise of our faculty members, providing participants with an authentic glimpse into the various facets of Dance here at LU,” Zweier said.

The dancers were also able to audition for the Lindenwood Dance program while participating in the classes, solos from the dancers who were auditioning were showcased at 2 p.m.

“Among these talented individuals, 23 were seniors who enthusiastically auditioned for our BA/BFA programs, adding an exciting dimension to the event’s scope and reach,” Zweier said.

Participants from the High School Dance Day also received a ticket to attend the Fall Dance Concert, to witness the pieces that Lindenwood dance students regularly work on each semester and the pieces that student choreographers create.

“These student choreographers willingly engage in a Q&A session, openly sharing insights into every stage of production, from casting decisions to the final concert. This interactive dialogue adds an extra layer of richness to the experience, making it a truly remarkable and mutually beneficial occasion for both current Lindenwood University students and high school participants alike.” Zweier said.