2024 Presidential candidates: who are they and what do they fight for?

Photo by Pexels
Who are the 2024 Presidential candidates and what do they fight for?

The 2024 election is approaching, so here is a reminder of who the Presidential candidates running are and their platforms.

America runs on a two-party system. This means candidates for any office or position are from either the Republican or Democratic party. However, there are exceptions to this rule. Some people will run as independents or with a third party, but doing so makes them less likely to win any elections.

This year’s Democratic Presidential candidates are President Joe Biden, Marianne Williamson, and Dean Phillips.

The Democratic Party’s motto is “We are fighting for a brighter, more equal future: rolling up our sleeves and organizing everywhere to build a better America for all.” The three candidates running under this banner will be voted on by the democratic parties of each state from January to September.

President Joe Biden has been running on the campaign of “Together we can finish the job for the American people.” Biden is well known for his support of legal immigration, helping the American economy recover from the COVID-19 crisis, and furthering his work on health care by building on his Affordable Care Act. 

Marianne Williamson comes from Houston, Texas, and has spent most of her life as a political activist and author of fifteen books. She is running with the intention to help support people who are in financial dread or struggling with debt after the COVID-19 pandemic. Marianne has stated many times, including on her campaign site, that the current government is benefiting corporations and not the people, which she wants to change.

The final Democratic candidate is Dean Phillips, born in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and the current Congressperson for the Democratic-Minnesota 3rd district. In Phillips’s most recent campaign ad, he announces that Americans all deserve free health care. The tag line is “Medicare for all.” Phillips’s platform is to help repair the broken political system and help build an affordable America. Phillips’s promises to build affordable housing, restrict big corporations and drug companies from continual price increases, and create an affordable childcare system. 

The Republican Presidential candidates are former President Donald J. Trump, Nikki Haley, and Ryan Binkley. The Republican Party’s motto is “We believe in liberty, economic prosperity, preserving American values and traditions, and restoring the American dream for every citizen of this great nation.” The party aims to help create a secure and safe America for future generations.

The leading Republican candidate is former President Donald J. Trump. Trump is best known for being the President of the United States from 2016 to 2020, but also is an American personality and businessperson. His platform is focused on ‘making America great again,’ through the construction of ten new cities, forming tent cities for the homeless population, phasing out importation of products from China, and reforming the education system. 

Nikki Haley was the Governor of South Carolina from 2011-2017 and an ambassador to the United Nations from 2017-2018. Haley does not include her policy plans on her website but through many debates and appearances her platform has emerged. Haley wishes to highlight her past actions in immigration reform and labor rights. She also aims to cut income taxes, limit federal spending, reduce the control of the federal government, and lower the cost for gasoline while combating energy dictators across the world. 

The final candidate for the Republican party is Ryan Binkley, the CEO of Generational Group in Texas as well as founder and lead pastor of the Create Church. Binkley has published his plans for his Presidency with his 7-year economic plan to balance federal spending, seek bipartisan solutions, improve healthcare transparency, and achieve energy independence with the use of American nuclear power plants and biofuels. 

The people running independently and with a third-party are Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Cornel West, and Jill Stein. Historically, no third-party candidates have ever won the election and the only independent candidate was President George Washington who never officially ran for President.

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is running as an independent, and on the stance that all Americans should claim their independence from the us-versus-them of the political parties. Kennedy Jr. claims he will help raise the average income for American families to a livable wage, lowering the mortgage payments for new homeowners, and helping end the many wars and acts of American violence across the globe. 

Independent candidate Cornel West is an American philosopher who aims to question the status quo in his fight for justice and equality. His platform promises to raise the national minimum wage to $27, eradicate poverty and homelessness, provide workers with more parental rights and childcare, and justice for many more of the American inequalities. 

Finally, Jill Stein is a physician and political activist running for the Green party. She has stated that she wants to offer people outside of the two-party system a voice. Stein is a pro-worker, anti-war, and climate action activist. Her main policies include divisive climate change, new police training and conflict resolution tactics, free college tuition, Medicare for all, and basic human rights from easier immigration to abortion rights.

These are all the candidates in the 2024 Presidential election and the main issues they are arguing for. If you are a legal voter, make sure to investigate these candidates further before the election season hits full swing.