Co-ed latino fraternity coming back to campus: Alpha Psi Lambda

Photo by Alpha Psi Lambda’s Instagram
Sophia LaChance, Amy Callirgos, Ana Paula Saá, and Melody Rendon at an APSI Fundraiser event.

After five years of striving for recognition and getting involved on campus, Alpha Psi Lamba (APSI), Lindenwood’s co-ed Latino fraternity was declared inactive.

However, the fraternity is actively recruiting members to help grow the “Familia” at Lindenwood again since it has been a great opportunity for Hispanic students to feel involved in campus life while creating connections with students with similar backgrounds.

Even though the fraternity is classified as a co-ed Latino fraternity, it is open to all students to join.

Former President of the Alpha Omicron chapter Lupe Medina said that APSI was founded at Lindenwood in 2018 and they became the “Alpha Omicron” chapter in the summer of 2021.

The chapter participated in different activities and fundraisers around campus like the Dark Carnival, Family Day, Lindenwood’s organization fair, and Homecoming. They also hosted their events on campus and off campus, which brought the Hispanic community together.

“Alpha Psi Lambda was transformative for my personal growth within the university,” Former APSI member Joshua Lockamy said. “When I first entered I felt like I didn’t have any social life within the university and felt like I had the potential to be more active within the school setting as well as outside of Lindenwood in the Saint Charles community.”

Some events that the organization used to host:

• APSI Alpha Omicron Parties
  • Loteria Nights
  • Bowling Nights
  • APSI Founder’s Day
  • Christmas Tradition “Posada Navideña”

“It was amazing to find a social place amongst the university whilst also learning about my culture more and more as well as representing the Hispanic culture in Saint Charles,” Lockamy said. “I am grateful for the friendships, networking, and opportunities provided to me by APSI.”

The fraternity was awarded several prizes during their active period at Lindenwood, including the “Multicultural Fraternal Service Award” and “highest GPA by a Fraternity/Sorority,” which was awarded to them at Lindenwood’s 2019 Black and Gold Awards.

The Lindenwood chapter has been inactive since most of its members and their president graduated in 2022.

“I was president of the chapter my senior year Fall 21-22, and I know most of the members were doing double majors and multiple minors,” Medina said. “With a small chapter of 6 members, we were still able to host school-wide events but that spring a couple of members graduated, and it made it more difficult to find the time to do more events and have more of a presence on campus.”

Even though the chapter was inactive, recruiting events and informational meetings are still being hosted since 2023 and will continue in 2024. Their Instagram posts include the phrase “Join our Familia” and state that students can join the meeting without an obligation to join.

“Right now, there’s no president since the chapter is dormant but I’m working with Michelle Maday the Vice President of Expansion to recruit members,” Medina said. “Lindenwood alumni and alumni from other chapters in the area will also volunteer at the recruitment events and if enough students want to join, we will begin the MIP (Membership Intake Process).”

If you are interested in joining or taking a leadership role, reach out to Michelle Maday at [email protected]

For more information, visit Alpha Psi Lambda’s Instagram: @apsilindenwood.