How to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in the St. Louis area in 2024

Photo by Jia (Sophia) Buck
Leprechaun and horseshoe, the symbols of St. Patrick’s day.

For over 1,000 years, March 17 has been celebrated by Irish culture as St. Patrick’s Day. 

St. Patrick’s Day is a Christian celebration during the season of Lent. Irish families would attend church in the morning and hold a festival in the afternoon or evening to celebrate.

According to History, “prohibitions against the consumption of meat [a traditional part of Lent] were waived and people would dance, drink, and feast on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage.” 

For those who do not know, the day is named after the Irish Saint Patrick. He lived in the fifth century and was the patron saint of Ireland. His life started quite rough, living as a slave in Roman Britian until he was sent to Ireland at 16 years old. He escaped slavery but remained in Ireland to help spread Christianity. One of his most notorious acts was using the three-leaf clover, or shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity. 

Celebrations in 2024 

Florissant “Valley of Shamrocks” 

March 10 – To highlight Florissant’s heritage; founded by the French, built by Germans, and run by the Irish, Florissant is hosting a 5k, parade, and festival in 2024. The 5k will start at 9 a.m. followed by the parade at 12 p.m. and finally the festival from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. 

St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Downtown St. Charles 

March 17 at 4 p.m. 

St. Louis St. Patrick’s Day Parade 

March 16 at 12 p.m.With over 120 different floats, organizations, balloons, and marching bands, the 55th annual St. Louis St. Patrick’s Day Parade will take place “rain or shine.”  

2024 Dogtown St. Patrick’s Day Irish Festival 

March 17 at 12 p.m.The purpose of the Dogtown St. Patrick’s Day Irish Festival is to highlight the unique spirit and celebrated history of the Dogtown neighborhood. The festival will feature food and drinks from numerous vendors, live music, and family-friendly activities and games. The annual parade includes over 90 floats with Irish dancing, music, and salutes to Irish history and culture. 

Events for those who are 21+ 

St. Louis Shamrock Stroll St. Patrick’s Day Weekend Bar Crawl 

March 16 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.The Official Shamrock Stroll offers participants the opportunity to bar crawl throughout the city, experiencing the best of what local pubs and bars have to offer. Purchase tickets here. 

The Lucky Leprechaun -A St. Patrick’s Day-Themed Pop-Up Bar 

March 7 from 4:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.Go check out the Presto Wine pop-up bar, make sure to purchase tickets beforehand.  

St. Patrick’s Day at Chillax Tap & Co. w/ Vails Brothers 

March 15 to 17Vails Brothers will introduce a new dish item daily from Friday to Sunday, while Chillax Tap & Co will keep the drinks flowing. On Friday enjoy some Reuben sandwiches and live music. On Saturday there will be corn beef and cabbage. Finally, Sunday will have green eggs and ham, corn beef and cabbage, plus Reuben sandwiches 

Shamrocks and Shenanigans 

March 16 at 1 p.m.Shamrocks & Shenanigans is an after-party presented by Bud Light following the downtown St. Patrick’s Day parade. Featuring live music from Legends Undercover, local DJ entertainment, and seven parties under one roof plus drinks. Purchase tickets here.