5 things you didn’t know about Lindenwood

Phil Brahm | Lindenlink Managing Editor
Feb. 5, 2016; 12:30 p.m.

[su_heading size=”25″]Cow hides cover the inner doors of Butler Library[/su_heading]

The set of double doors inside Butler library are covered in cow hides.
Phil Brahm

Since the library first opened in 1927, the inter doors have been covered with leather. When they were redone in 1981, Lindenwood’s upholster, Judy Stevens, and a local leather crafter used five hides to cover the doors..

[su_heading size=”25″]Hunter Stadium was built for a professional football team[/su_heading]

Hunter Stadium is currently used by several of Lindenwood’s athletic teams.
Photo by Phil Brahm

Built as a training camp facility for St. Louis’ first NFL team, the Cardinals used the stadium from 1976 until 1981. Seven years later the team relocated to the desert and became the organization known today as the Arizona Cardinals.

[su_heading size=”25″]Parker Hall is the only LU building to be named after a professor[/su_heading]

Parker Hall is a male dormitory located directly next to Lindenwood’s Spellmann Center.
Photo by Phil Brahm

The dormitory was named after Alice Parker, who taught at Lindenwood from 1928 until 1961. After earning a degree from Yale, she was hired by the school as an English professor and eventually became the department chair.

[su_heading size=”25″]Lindenwood has had a tornado touch down on campus [/su_heading]

The historic side of campus is covered with several different types of trees.
Photo by Phil Brahm

In July 6, 1915, a tornado swept through St. Charles and left a wake of destruction in its path. While reports claim the entire central portion of the city was left in ruins, trees were the only things damaged at Lindenwood.

[su_heading size=”25″]Lindenwood used to have its own golf course on campus[/su_heading]

Cobbs, Irwin and McClure halls (left to right) are all located on the heritage side of campus.
Photo by Phil Brahm

Between the 1920s and 1940s, Lindenwood had its own 18-hole golf course. Located where Cobbs, Irwin and McCluer currently stand, the course was open exclusively to students attending the school.

[su_divider top=”no” size=”1″ margin=”45″][su_divider top=”no”][su_divider top=””][/su_divider]

Information was provided by LU Archivist Paul Huffman