Blasters, axes and swords: Nerf alliance brings battle to campus

A bucket of Nerf blasters and darts sits in the sidelines. Regular participants often bring extra equipment to events so that new players can join in.
Photo by Mitchell Kraus

MITCHELL KRAUS | Editor-in-Chief

The Nerf Alliance, one of the many clubs at Lindenwood, is known for the campus-wide battles it organizes. 

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5ErWYotgg[/embedyt]

At its most recent event, a war at the indoor soccer arena inside Evans Commons, 33 people pelted each other with foam darts and melee weapons while ducking behind cardboard box forts. The participants are made up mostly 0f Lindenwood students with alumni from the area mixed in.

Outfits range from workout clothes to khaki pants to one man wearing a furry purple skirt with matching leg warmers. Buckets and suitcases overflowing with blasters and darts are stacked in the bench area just off the arena. 

Aleksander Mansdoerfer, the president of the Nerf Alliance, likes to welcome curious passersby to participate. 

“We have had members of security come down and play, we have had faculty come down and play,” he said. “It is really open to anyone.”

The Nerf Alliance’s next event is the campus-wide Humans vs. Zombies event beginning at 1 a.m. on Feb. 26. Anyone is welcome to attend one of the informational rules meetings on Feb. 25, at 7 or 8:30 p.m. The meeting will be held in Spellmann 3015. 

To join the Nerf Alliance, sign up on InvolveU.