Fall dance concert 2023: An expression in movement

The Fall Dance Concert 2023 will take place from Nov. 9 to Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m. at the Lindenwood Theater.

Lindenwood University’s Fall dance concert will be taking place at the J Scheidegger Center for the Arts from Nov. 9 until Nov. 11.

This show, hosted by the LU Dance program will showcase nine pieces created by staff and student choreographers.

“This concert has a lot of diversity and there will be something for everybody. We have ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, and contemporary,” Lindenwood’s Adjunct dance professor Tracy Dupre said.

The concert will include a tap piece choreographed by Dupre, where students will be telling the story of the five women arrested in Iran for creating a TikTok video in public dancing to the song “Calm Down” by the Nigerian singer Rema.

“When I heard about the five women being arrested for dancing I was devastated. I realized how much we take for granted and how grateful I am for the freedoms we have,” Dupre said. “I cannot imagine not having the freedom to dance, it is a part of who I am, and I feel for these women”

Performing this kind of dance gives the students an opportunity to stand for what they believe, especially when it comes to freedom and rights concerning dancing.

“There has been many problems with women’s freedom, so we are excited to show support in that manner,” Dance student Randi Jenkins said.

LU Dance program students rehearsing the tap piece “Women, Life, Freedom” by staff choreographer Tracy Dupre. (Photo by Catalina Corredor)

During the weekend when the Fall Dance Concert is taking place, Lindenwood will also be hosting the High School Dance Day on Nov. 10, where potential students interested in the Dance program will get the experience of dancing at Lindenwood’s dance studios for a day, learning about the program, and will also get a ticket to attend the dance concert.

For more information visit the following link: https://www.lindenwood.edu/arts-and-humanities/performing-arts/dance-ba-bfa/high-school-dance-day/ or https://www.lindenwood.edu/j-scheidegger-center-for-the-arts/upcoming-events/dance/fall-dance-concert/#:~:text=November%209%2D11%2C%202023%20%7C%207%3A30%20p.m.