Students gain extra day for quality time with family, friends

Lauren+Mueller
Lauren Mueller
Lauren Mueller

Americans have been celebrating Thanksgiving for hundreds of years.
It has become known as a day of fun, feasting, family and of course, giving thanks for our blessings.
This year, we now have Wednesday, Nov. 23 off from school. I believe this is a policy that should have been put into place long ago.
Thanksgiving is a tradition that families here in America have cherished for years. I am fortunate enough to live only 15 miles away from school, but what about those students who must fly to other states in order to celebrate this Thanksgiving with their families?
Should traveling students be expected to leave class the day before this holiday, rush to the airport and then arrive just in time to celebrate? Or should these students skip class and miss important information?
Technically, this Wednesday is just one more day off, but it is a day which I am sure most students will appreciate. By giving students this day off, they now have time to get to their destination and perhaps get to actually relax a bit before jumping into the festivities.
I think Lindenwood should be commended for giving us Nov. 23 off this year. I hope people will see the benefits of this addition and that this policy will continue for future students.
Thanksgiving should be about spending time with family and should not be hindered by last-minute, stressful travel plans.

$575
$1000