Lindenlink wins 13 statewide and regional journalism awards

The Lindenlink staff won 13 journalism awards from the Missouri College Media Association and the Society of Professional Journalists.

Alexis Montgomery, Editor-in-Chief

Lindenlink, the student-run Lindenwood University news publication, won a total of 13 awards from the Missouri College Media Association and the Society of Professional Journalists. 

Lindenlink staff members won nine awards from the MCMA and four awards from the SPJ for articles, photos, videos, and graphics published on Lindenlink in 2020-21.

Lindenwood competed in Division II of the MCMA, which includes other schools such as Northwestern Missouri State, Truman State, and Webster University. 

“These honors are great because they provide just a little bit of reward for all of the Lindenlink staffers and contributors who have so worked hard through a year where we had more hurdles than usual,” Lindenlink adviser Neil Ralston said.

Missouri College Media Association Awards, announced April 9, 2021, during the virtual MCMA conference:

First Place – Multimedia Package, Merlina San Nicolas Leyva, Matt Hampton and Kayla Drake, COVID-19 and university border closures leave international students in confusing situations 

Second Place – Story Illustration, Alexa Pressley, Lindenwood cancels fall 2020 commencement ceremonies amid COVID-19 concerns 

Second Place – News Photography, James Tananan Kamnuedkhun, St. Charles County offering free COVID-19 testing this weekend 

Third Place – Feature Writing, Merlina San Nicolas Leyva, ‘No pain, no gain’ mindset causes students-athletes’ mental health to suffer 

Honorable Mention – News Writing, Alexis Montgomery, Local election official dies after testing positive for COVID-19 and working on Election Day 

Honorable Mention – Feature Writing, Dominic Hoscher, The story of a Paralympic gold medal-winning sled hockey player 

Honorable Mention – Information Graphic, Alexa Pressley, Lindenwood’s confirmed COVID-19 case numbers 

Honorable Mention – Story Illustration, Matt Hampton, Coronavirus has changed the dating game for couples and singles 

Honorable Mention – Video, Tyler Keohane, 12 things Lindenwood students missed over the summer  

Lindenlink also won four regional journalism awards from the Society of Professional Journalists, on April 10.

Known as the Mark of Excellence, the competition honors the best collegiate journalism around the country annually. Regional winners move on to compete at the national level.  Lindenlink competes in Region 7 with other three states: Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa.

MOE entries are judged by professionals with at least three years of journalism experience, and the judges choose the work that resembles the best in collegiate journalism. If no entry seemed to reach that level of excellence, no award was given.

There are no placement awards but only “finalists” and “winners” categories. The winners are automatically entered in the national contest and the national winners will be announced later this year.  

Region 7, Mark of Excellence SPJ awards, announced April 10, 2021, during virtual regional conferences:

Winners:

Sports Reporting: Merlina San Nicolas Leyva, for her  ‘No pain, no gain’ story. 

Online Coverage: Merlina San Nicolas Leyva, Kayla Drake and Matt Hampton, for COVID-19 and university border closures leave international students in confusing situations 

The judge of the university border closures article said they were impressed considering the  chaotic time in which it was reported.

“Excellent sourcing and use of detail. I noticed the editor’s note at the bottom and admire the journalists’ transparency in the face of updated information from the university,” the judge said.

Finalist: 

Photo Illustration: James Kamnuedkhun, for the photo illustration for ‘No pain, no gain’ 

Best Independent Online Student Publication: Lindenlink staff 

A judge said Lindenlink “appears to be a vital resource for informing the campus community and surrounding areas.”

“Impressive range of stories, with good reporting and sourcing. User-friendly design with strong visual elements,” the judge said.