Alpha Psi Lambda will make its debut at Lindenwood

Interested students and faculty discuss the plans for their future Greek organization at the Latin coed interest meeting on Friday, Nov. 10, in the LARC.
Photo by Ciara Griffin.

CIARA GRIFFIN | Reporter

The members who attended the Latin Greek coed interest meeting on Nov. 10 decided to add the Alpha Psi Lambda Latino coed fraternity to Lindenwood’s campus.

Approximately 15 Latino students, two Student Involvement officers and Residential Life Assistant Director Jesus Lopez attended the interest meeting in the Library and Academic Resources Center this past Friday. There they discussed goals for the organization, officers and plans for the future.

According to Assistant Director of Student Involvement Greek Life Christopher Miofsky, three organizations were presented to the students.

Sigma Lambda Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma were presented as single-sex organizations, but the students felt it would be best to have a coed fraternity since the number of interested Latino students is low right now.

Alpha Psi Lambda’s first chapter was founded at Ohio State University in 1985. The fraternity “embodies true family through the support of brotherhood and sisterhood,” according to Alpha Psi Lambda. Its main objective is to seek noble men and women.

“You don’t have to be Latino, Latina to be in it; it’s open to all cultures,” Miofsky said.

The organization has eight purposes: serve; friendship; provide educational, social and cultural experiences; advocate; Latino culture; leadership; inter-fraternity relations; and positive relations.

The organization aims to get the word out through emails and word of mouth. 

The students want to get started quickly and will have another meeting the following week. Their next step would be to elect officers, have a new-member presentation also known as a probate, stepping and strolling, and have members from Alpha Psi Lambda in Illinois to come to Lindenwood and help the students with certain rituals and education.

According to Miofsky, if successful, this will be the first chapter of Alpha Psi Lambda in Missouri.