5 reasons to leave your dorm room this weekend

Photo by Kat Owens
5 reasons to leave your Dorm this weekend

LYNSEY ALDAM | Reporter

October is officially here! It’s time to pull out your sweaters, sip on apple cider (or pumpkin spice… no judgements here) and embrace the crisp air and amber-tinted leaves. This weekend is also fall break. If you’re not heading home for the extended weekend, be sure to step out of your dorm and adventure to some of these activities happening on/around campus.

1.      Watch Lindenwood cyclists tear it up at the Mountain Bike Championships

Looking for your dose of sports? Step out of your dorm to enjoy the fall weather and cheer on our cyclists this weekend as they race through St. Charles or hype up the men’s rugby and women’s volleyball teams.

• Cycling MWCCC Mountain Bike Championships | Saturday, Oct. 5 and Sunday, Oct. 6 | 9:00 a.m. | Wildwood/St. Charles, MO
  • Men’s Rugby vs Principia College | Monday, Oct. 6 | 8:00 p.m. | Hunter Stadium
  • Women’s Volleyball vs University of Missouri – St. Louis | Tuesday, Oct. 7 | 7:00 p.m. | Hyland Arena

2.      Celebrate fall in the boo-tanical gardens Friday, Oct. 4 | noon – 8:00 p.m. | Missouri Botanical Garden

If scary isn’t your cup of tea, drive into STL to enjoy the Best of Missouri Market in the Botanical Gardens. The market showcases more than 130 of the region’s artisans. There will be live music, barnyard animals, pumpkin decorating and crafts. If you can’t make it on Friday, the festival is open on Saturday and Sunday as well.
Check out times and buy your tickets here.

3.      Get spooky under the Arch
Saturday, Oct. 5 | 6:30 p.m. | Gateway Arch National Park

Halloween is fast approaching and what better way to get in the spooky spirit than by venturing to the iconic Arch to hear ghost stories? Experience the tales of St. Louis historical figures like Pierre Laclede, Thomas Targee, James Eads, and Percy Green.  
For more information check out the event Facebook page here.

4.      Inspire your inner artist Saturday, Oct. 5 | 2 p.m. – 11 p.m. | Tower Grove

Interested in exploring something creative this weekend? Go into St. Louis to check out the vibrant 14th annual Grove Fest. Grove Fest is known to be “wildly eclectic” and will keep you busy all day. There will be food drinks, crafts, fashion and art. Plus, you can participate in their outdoor paint-by-numbers wall mural.
Click here more information. 

5.      Get your moo-ve on at the Cowbell Marathon Sunday, Oct. 6 | 7:30 a.m. | Frontier Park, St Charles

You’ll need more cowbell at this years Cowbell Marathon. Whether you’re a first-time runner, a marathoner or someone in between… there’s options for everyone. Spend your Sunday morning running along the Katy Trail with plenty of cowbells, inspired directly from the iconic SNL skit.

You can sign up here.