Hispanic Heritage Day: Creating a sense of belonging for Lindenwood international students

The Hispanic Heritage Day took place in the Evans Commons cafeteria Oct. 16.

The Hispanic Heritage Day was held in Evans Commons to highlight and celebrate facts about the Hispanic culture on Monday, Oct. 16.

This all-day event included a table with games and prizes related to Hispanic cultures, as well as the serving of different Hispanic dishes.

“My favorite part of planning this day is witnessing the sense of belonging it creates for our international students with Hispanic backgrounds,” the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for Lindenwood University Tanatswa Beta said. “I also enjoyed learning about Hispanic culture as I was preparing the events of the day.”

With the support of Lindenwood’s Dinning Services, Beta planned and supported the event, which is held yearly at Evans Commons during the month of October.

Senior Alexia Prudencio helped with the gathering of information about dishes that students from different Latin American countries as well as Spain wanted to see at this event.

“By exploring this culture, people gain a greater appreciation for the richness of the Hispanic community. It also allows people to connect with our history, tastes, and community,” Prudencio said.

Hispanic Heritage Month as a whole is an opportunity for non-Hispanic students to learn about other cultures, and the food that was served at Evans Commons is an example of the different things that Hispanic people are proud of and happy to share with other people.

“Seeing their pride in their heritage and culture, and the connections they make, is truly special. I also enjoyed learning about Hispanic culture as I was preparing the events of the day,” Beta said.

This event encourages students to look into diversity around the world and taste new dishes; it brings awareness and highlights the riches of Hispanic culture.

“It [the Hispanic culture] is unique and there is no other like this one around the U.S., it is kind of revolutionary,” Prudencio said.

During the event, the St. Louis Hispanic Heritage flag was displayed at the dining tables.

“Events like these are crucial because they foster an inclusive environment where students can appreciate diverse cultures,” Beta said. “It promotes understanding, breaks down stereotypes, and helps create a campus atmosphere that values everyone’s unique experiences and perspectives.”

The breakdown of stereotypes has always been something that is desired by international students at Lindenwood, not only Hispanic students but students from any culture different from the U.S. Therefore, these kinds of events help with Lindenwood’s vision of having a stereotype-free and inclusive campus.

“The creation of this flag shows the importance of our Latino and Hispanic people. It represents the impact we have in our communities,” Prudencio said.