LSG General Assembly Meeting – FAFSA backup, Raffles

Lindenwood+Student+Government+Vice+President+Emelyn+Smuskevich+leading+the+general+assembly+meeting+in+Dunseth+Auditorum+at+4+p.m.+
Photo by Mallary Vasquez
Lindenwood Student Government Vice President Emelyn Smuskevich leading the general assembly meeting in Dunseth Auditorum at 4 p.m.

Lindenwood Student Government held their General Assembly Meeting on Feb. 5 at 4 p.m. in Harmon Hall 117 with Vice President Emelyn Smuskevich calling the meeting to order in President Clayton Herbst’s absence.

Dr. Heather Shalley from Student Financial Services was a guest speaker at the meeting. According to Shalley, the government changed the dates of FAFSA submission which is resulting in Lindenwood not receiving the information for federal aid until March. Students who use federal aid will not be able to apply that to their tuition balance until March.

Shalley asked students who qualify and use federal aid to still complete the FAFSA and Student Financial Services will grant federal aid when they receive the necessary information.

Following the speaker, the Lindenwood Student Government executive board members delivered their reports.

Smuskevich announced that voting for LSG’s Black and Gold Awards opens Feb. 12. She also announced that LSG will host a raffle for weekend events hosted by residential halls with a prize of $509 going to the winning dorm.

Speaker of the House Colin McEnaney said that they are working on contacting other universities to get information on how their libraries operate to try and keep the library open until midnight Sunday through Thursday. He also said that LSG will host a raffle for weekend events hosted by student organizations with a prize of $300 going to the winner.

Director of Academic Affairs Carson Clay announced several upcoming events from the Real-World Prep series. Clay reminded the students of the following dates:

• Feb 15- Personal Finance
  • March 28 – Resume Building
  • April 9 – Comparing Jobs

Clay also announced that there will be regular Academic Affairs meetings following the LSG General Assembly Meetings to give students the chance to voice their concerns about issues on campus.

Director of Community Outreach Danel Smit announced that Spring into Service will be held on March 23 from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. with breakfast provided. Students who register before Feb. 12 are entered into an “early bird” raffle to earn Dining Dollars.

Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Tanatswa Beta had nothing to report.

Director of Finance Markell Roper reported that the LSG General Fund currently contains $12,192.60.

Following the reports of the executive board, LSG Advisors, Director of Student Involvement Madison Shaw and Associate Director Hunter Davis, reported that LSG unveiled a new food truck on campus that is available for students to use in both programming, events, and more.

The Advisors also reminded organizations to re-register in InvolveU by March 1 and to complete their tier designation forms by May 1. The Student Involvement office will be changing their software from Presence to a new software over the summer.

After the reports, two new organizations were presented to the General Assembly: Lindenwood Cybersecurity Student Organization (LCSO) and Lindenwood Broadcast Education Association (LUBEA). Both organizations were voted on and approved to become established. 

Delta Sigma Pi, LU Pridettes, and the Catholic Student Union all presented fund requests. All fund requests were approved.

Smuskevich adjourned the meeting at 4:59 p.m. The next LSG General Assembly meeting will be in Dunseth Auditorium on Feb. 19 at 4 p.m.